headshot session faq
What is the Right Size Session for Me?
All of our sessions are based on length. Depending on what you need, you want to make sure that you book the appropriate amount of time to get the images you need. Check out the descriptions below to see what will fit you best.
Standard Session: Your session includes a short, 15-minute studio session and 1 retouched image. This session is a good fit for companies who have hired a new team member or someone who needs a quick update for a CV or job application.
Plus Session: Session includes a 60 minute, studio session, and gallery of images. You will get up to 3 different looks with a minimum of 50 high-resolution images. This session length is great for someone looking for a more in-depth shoot that can include headshots, medium shots, and several outfit changes. Even if you just need something simple and you might need a little more time to relax and warm-up for the camera, this is a great choice.
Executive Session: Includes a 90 minute, studio session, and gallery of images. You will get up to 6 different looks with a minimum of 80 high-resolution images. This session is ideal for an actor or model looking for more in-depth character looks and portfolio images. This leaves time for a good number of wardrobe and even hair and makeup changes. For business people, this is a perfect length if you are looking to populate your website and social profiles with a wider range of images.
What happens if I need to reschedule or cancel?
In order to get on our schedule, we require at least a 50% deposit for your session. Most people choose to pay in full, but that’s up to you. If you need to cancel, know that your payment can go towards a future session, but we do not offer refunds. Our schedule is pretty tight. If we held a spot for you, chances are we had to turn down someone else who wanted that time slot. We are happy to give you one complimentary reschedule of your session with no penalty. After that, rescheduling will require a $50 fee.
What about hair and makeup?
We highly recommend working with a professional hair and makeup artist. Although hair and makeup are not included in the session fee, we have several great artists that we can refer you to who specialize in camera-ready makeup. For men we recommend a light foundation to help take out any shine. For women, we recommend professional makeup by an experienced artist, but here are a couple of tips if you plan on doing it yourself.
- Stay away from any makeup with an SPF. These ingredients are designed to reflect certain kinds of light and can cause your skin to appear more shiny on camera instead of less.
- Go easy on the blush. This is the one area that stands out the most in photos and can be very difficult to correct in post-processing.
- Bring your makeup to the session in case you need to reply.
What should I wear for my headshots?
You should bring plenty of options to the shoot, we will go over it beforehand but here are some pointers for you:
- Always bring clothes that match your style and personality.
- Stay away from clothes with busy patterns. Solid colors are best. No logos.
- Try to stay away from black and white. If you are a person who relies heavily on black, think about branching out to some colors that flatter your natural coloring.
- Any color is great for tops, but remember that very bright colors can draw away from your face so pick something slightly more subdued. There are even colors of clothing that are so bright that a camera has trouble reproducing them and they look completely different in the final image.
- Bring an undershirt or camisole if you are shooting in multiple outfits. It saves time to be able to change tops quickly in the studio for more headshot looks. For men, wear an undershirt with a v-neck if possible as it is less likely to show up in the photos that way.
- In a headshot session, your lower half will not likely make it into the photos, but make sure that whatever bottoms you have are clean, pressed and match your tops. You never know what we might be able to get out of your session. If you are wearing a suit, be sure to bring the pants.
- Make sure any clothes that you bring are clean and neatly pressed. This goes double for collared shirts and suits. We do not remove wrinkles in Photoshop.
- If you want to bring jewelry, make sure that it matches. Gold earrings don’t look great with a silver necklace, etc. Bring some options that you love but keep in mind that a headshot is about your face. For entertainment, unless you are shooting specific character shots, keep jewelry to a minimum. Simple studs or hoops and simple necklaces are fine, but nothing that will take away from your expression.
We are also more than happy to communicate with you about the clothes you are planning to bring. You can text us pictures your ideas or we can collaborate on ideas with a Pinterest board.
How long does it take to get my images back?
Please give us 2-3 business days to send your gallery and the same again to receive your retouched images once you have placed your order. We will upload your retouched images and send you an email letting you know they are completed. Please then download and save your images to your computer. We also recommend saving them in a second location as a backup. Retouched images will be available to download as a high-resolution file that you can use for all your printing and reproductions needs. Let us know if you need faster delivery and we can make rush delivery available to you for a small fee.